After seeing some recent pictures of myself and thinking "Yuck!" "Whoa!" and various other four-letter words, I've decided to make a change to our diet (again). I really need to lay off the heavy cream and butter.
This week's dinners include:
- Steak, steamed broccoli and PURPLE cauliflower, salad with fat-free dressing (rice for the kids!)
- Halibut steaks with steamed broccoli and purple cauliflower, salad with fat-free dressing (fish sticks for the kids!)
- Ground sirloin (4% fat) with mushrooms, onions, and salad with fat-free dressing (baked potatoes for the kids!)
- Shrimp with green beans, salad with fat-free dressing (rice and fish sticks for the kids!)
- boneless/skinless chicken breast, carrots, and salad with fat-free dressing (hashbrowns for the kids!)
Breakfast for the kids will be cereal and milk, eggs with whole-grain toast and tea for me and the hubs. Lunches for me and the hubs include things like 98% fat free lunch meat, salads, lean chicken breast, fruits, etc. Snacks... for the kids, cookies and crackers. For me and the hubs, hardboiled eggs, reduced fat cheese sticks, 2% fat cottage cheese, fat-free yogurt, and diet Jell-o.
Wish us luck! :)
(Oh, the diet allows for however much salt, pepper, seasonings, vinegars, mustard, salsa, etc. as you would like to taste on your food... for the veggies I followed Chile's Guiltless Grill's example and used a very light sprinkle of parmesan cheese and lemon wedges.)
I spent about $25 more than my usual budget, but I hope to bring that total down as I get used to cooking a bit lighter and start stocking up on leaner cuts of meat as well. It's not too bad though considering it includes all of hubby's lunches!