Thursday, January 15, 2009

15/365


Here's the grocery store ads that have come this week. I'll sit down tomorrow and figure out what I'll be stocking up on. Once I have that decided, I'll write a list of dinners that I want to make, and then a corresponding grocery list noting what markets I'll be using. Loss leaders on things like rice and beans are great for stocking the pantry! This is a great time to have a price book on hand, so that you know whether to stock up or not.
I'll probably hit Stater Bros to stock up on london broil at $1.87/lb. I'll get about 8lbs of it and portion it out, as the steaks that they give you are about the size of two dinner plates. I'll cut some of it down into smaller steaks (a meat portion is supposed to be the size of a deck of cards), and will cut the rest into chunks or strips (for stir fry, fajitas, chile colorado, stew, etc.) Buying the meat like this is so much cheaper than paying $5 a pound for what the stores call "stew meat"!

Here's a picture of Niko* riding his bike this afternoon. He is so fast on it that I have to jog to keep up with him! And hey, there's our Ugly Gray House in the background! I love everything kitschy 50's except for the ranch houses. Especially the ones that need a lot of fixing up!
*He dressed himself.

This picture of Abbi (8) and my's shadows shows that she is quickly catching up to me in height. I think she will pass me up by the time she is 12!

No comments: