Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Menu Plan Monday (a day late!)

I forgot to post this the last couple of days, but I only have a few dinners planned for this week. Friday is our much-anticipated Payday Sushi night! I would happily eat sushi every night, but since it's so expensive, we have to limit ourselves. ;)



This week's dinners are:

Shrimp scampi with angel hair pasta
Clam Chowder with Cheddar Garlic biscuits
Four Bean Enchiladas with Rice
Spaghetti with Garlic Bread

Shrimp Scampi: This is a really quick and simple dinner. Simply melt 1/2 stick of butter, and lightly cook garlic (and a shallot if you have one) for a few minutes (don't let it turn brown). Add in about a pound of raw, peeled, tail-off shrimp (I buy the shell on kind since they're so much cheaper and peel them myself) and cook until almost done, then add in a pint of cherry tomatoes cut in half, and about 1/2 cup of white wine. Let simmer for about 3 minutes, just to soften the tomatoes. Serve over angel hair pasta with LOTS of cracked black pepper and chopped chives.

Clam Chowder: We're hopeless Snow's fans, but luckily we can get the cans of this awesome condensed soup at the 99c store now (at about 1/2 the price of the regular grocery stores!) I do add in extra potatoes, onion, and clams because I like my chowder very chunky. Just cook the peeled diced potatoes and diced onion in butter until soft, and then add them to the pot with the condensed soup and milk. Heat through, and serve with a dab of butter on top. Cheddar Garlic Biscuits on the side round out this hearty meal (just Google Red Lobster Cheddar Bay recipe!)

Four Bean Enchiladas: My husband fell in love with these while we were on the McDougall diet years ago. They're very simple - simply open up four cans of beans (pinto, kidney, garbanzo, and black), drain, and mix together. Roll the bean mixture up in flour tortillas (whole wheat if you want to go healthy), and top with loads of enchilada sauce. Since we're no longer on the McDougall diet, I do also top them with cheese - this week I'm using a Mexican blend of cheeses. We'll have these with rice and some sliced tomatoes.

No comments: